Date Time Question
Date Time Questions are used for the surveyor/respondent to manually enter a specific time or date that as part of the questionnaire, for example:
‘What is your birth date?’
Each question has a set of tabs; each tab is used for different configurations – let’s go over the tab’s.
The View tab
In the view tab you can configure the basic components of a question, such as its body text and its answers.
Question Type & General Settings
In the main panel, you can set the questions type, its textual color and formatting.
In the bottom panel, you can Clear the questions content, add a new question of the same type right after the current one and quickly navigate between questions:
The Question Tab
Under the question’s tab, within the View tab, you can define the Questions Body Text and the surveyors instructions if any.
Defining The Questions Text
The text written in the question’s tab box is the body text that will be displayed to the surveyor.
The surveyor instruction box, allows you to configure textual instructions for the surveyor that will be formatted differently than the body text.
Here I configured my body text to be:
What is you birth date?
And the Surveyor Instruction Text to be:
INTERVIEWER: READ OUT “
The Answers Tab
- Format: Only date/Only time – What to show
- Calendar: Apply when “Only Date” is chosen – Set the type of calendar
- Do Not Show Seconds – Apply when “Only Time” is chosen – Will present only hours and minutes
- Start Empty – Apply when “Only Time” is chosen – Will start with default value of the time 12:00:00 AM
- No Button – hide the “Now” button
- Treat as time span – Apply when “Only Time” is chosen –hide the “AM/PM”. If combine with the button “Start Empty” then question is started from the value time of 00:00:00
The Special Codes Tab
This tab allows you to add a set of answers in addition to the numeric field – you can select one answer from these answers that will be exclusive and disable the numeric field input.
The Rules Tab
In the rules tab you can define Entrance Rules, Validation Rules and Branching rules.
For more detail please see the following tutorials and refer to the scripting guide:
The Scripts Tab
In the Script’s tab you can define your questions Start Script, End Script and enter the advanced scripts for defining more complex functions.
For more detail about Start, End and Advanced scripts, please see the following tutorials and refer to the scripting guide:
The Variables Tab
The Variables Tab is used for configuring variable related properties of a question.
- Variable Name: is the name of the column representing this question when exporting.
- Missing Value: is the value that this question will get if it was not answered or skipped.
- Short ID: Is a short name that is used for ease of readability and is viewable in the Survey Tree next to the Question Index – Short ID’s can also be used as a basis for variable names, please see: How to work with QRef’s & Short ID’s
Variable names can be referenced instead of Indexes by using the correct functions. (Basic Introduction to using VRef and VarName)
The Advanced Tab
The advanced tab allows you to set & configure more advanced properties of a question.
Common usages of the advanced tab:
- Hiding a question from the surveyor.
Allowing\Disallowing ‘No Answer’:
Variables and Exporting Definitions
Common Functions used to retrieve the value
These are some common functions used with this type of question:
Common Functions used to set the value
If you wish to use time different calculations you may want to look at this guide:
More about time fields in SurveyToGo: