Chapter 18 – Multiple Languages & Translation
Multiple Languages & Translation
SurveyToGo allows you to run your survey in more than one language. You can add as many languages as needed and can also specify which language is the default one. Once more languages are added to the survey, the interviewer in the field will have the option to switch between languages in real-time as he proceeds with the interview.
Adding support for multiple languages is composed of the following steps:
- Step 1: Add a new language to the survey
- Step 2: Translate the survey – either from within the SurveyToGo Studio or export the survey to excel for external translation.
- Step 3: View the survey in different languages on the device.
Step 1: Add a new language to the survey
To add a new language to the survey, simple:
- click on the “Add new language” option from the languages drop down list:
- Next, give the new language a name (it will later be shown on the device by that name) and select it from the list of languages. If the language you add does not appear on the list of languages you can simply select a different language – it will not do any harm:
* If the language you are adding is a “Right-To-Left” language, check the “Is RTL” box. This will make SurveyToGo make the texts and buttons be right aligned when this language is chosen on the device.
- Click the OK button.
Note that you can add more than one language. There is no limit to the number of languages you can add. You will now see the new language appear on the language selection box:
IMPORTANT NOTE: when the non-default language is selected from the language box, you can’t add questions or answers or change question types. You can only translate the survey. To gain control of the survey design, please switch to the default language:
Step 2: Translate the survey – either from within the SurveyToGo Studio or export the survey to excel for external translation.
After adding the language, you will now need to go ahead and translate the survey to that language. The objects that can be translated are:
- Question texts
- Answer texts
- Answer Scales
- Validation rule messages
- Survey messages (error message, general notification messages etc)
There are 2 methods of getting your survey translated:
- From within the SurveyToGo Studio – this involves translating the texts one by one.
- Exporting all the texts to an Excel document, sending it to translation and importing the translated excel back. This is a more robust way and saves time.
Translation Option 1: Translating the survey from within the SurveyToGo Studio – this involves translating the texts one by one
To translate the survey from within the SurveyToGo Studio do the following:
- Switch to the new language from the language selection box:
- Next, you will notice that the question texts etc show up in the original language as this is the default, however you can simply override the texts with the translated texts:
And after overriding the text:
- You can do this for each of the question and answers.
- To translate the various survey messages and texts, switch to the “Survey Texts” tab of the survey:
And simply override the relevant message you wish to translate. For example, to change the “no answer” message that comes up when you try to continue without answering a question:
Translation Option 2: Exporting all the texts to an Excel document
In this method which is more suited to companies working with external translators, you first export all the survey texts and message to excel, and then import them back after a translator has translated the texts in the correct column of the excel document. To export the survey texts:
- Select the “Language > Export Texts”:
- Select the language you wish to translate from the available languages:
and also choose a file name to export the texts to
- Click the OK button, which will then create the excel file.
The excel file that was generated now includes 5 columns, the original texts of the questions and answers are shown in column D, while the translated texts need to be written in column E. Here is a schematic display of the file:
So, for example, to translate this question (Question number 1: What is your favorite color):
Once you finish translating all the texts you need, you can then import the translated excel to SurveyToGo and in turn your translated texts will be applied automatically. To import the excel back:
- Select the “Language > Import Texts”:
- Select the correct file name that contains the translated excel and click the “Load button”:
- Verify that the correct language is indicated and then click the “Import” button:
The correct language should be selected automatically. If it is not, switch to the correct language.
- If the import was successfully completed you will see an output that indicates the success and you can click the “Close” button:
- That’s it, the survey texts were now translated according to your translation file.
Step 3: View the survey in different languages on the device
After synching the translated survey to the device, you will now have the ability to switch between languages on the device itself when ever needed. To switch the language from the device:
- Click the “More > Languages” option and choose the preferred language:
After changing the language, you will see the translated text:
Back to Table Of Contents
Visit us at: http://www.dooblo.net